The do’s and don’ts of reporting a crime

The Salt Rock Neighbourhood Watch has urged the public to report crime to the local police.

SRNW chairperson Nathalie Struwe said the organisation often struggled with the general public’s reluctance and failure to report crime to the police.

“In order to ensure adequate policing in our area, it is imperative that victims of crime open a case.”

SRNW shared the following tips that explain the basics of opening a case.

Opening a case

  • A case number is the registration number of a criminal case whereby SAPS must begin an investigation into the criminal incident that occurred.
  • Findings of this case must be presented to the Public Prosecutor, who is also the only person that can throw the case out. A police officer is not authorised to throw the case out.
  • Only the victim of a criminal incident can open a case unless the victim is deceased or injured in such a manner that they are incapable of opening a case due to medical reasons. In the case of a juvenile, a guardian can open a case on their behalf. A caretaker or legal resident of a property may also open a case.
  • If crimes are not reported and cases not opened then it is assumed that the area has no crime and has no need for more police resources.
  • An investigation has to take place once a case is opened.

What is an incident report?

An incident report is the reporting of a criminal incident whereby the complainant does not want to open a case but does want to claim from insurance. Instances, when an incident report should be opened, include:

  • When a husband threatens to assault his wife but does not do so.
  • When the vehicle is driven in a negligent and dangerous manner.
  • One person is threatened by another.
  • Suspicious activity.

When and how to open a case

  • The action against the victim must be of a criminal nature, example: murder, assault, rape and theft, robbery and breaking and entering and fraud etc.
  • The victim can call their local police station to report a criminal act, like a break in for example, and the police will come to the scene of the crime.


  • The victim must go to the police station and say they want to open a case.
  • The victim will then explain the nature of their case and insist that a case is opened.
  • The SAPS member must then start with taking the victims statement, which will usually begin with “I, full name and identity number, an adult, race, residing at (full address) do solemnly declare/state/swear under oath that the following is a true reflection of what happened.”
  • The SAPS member must then fill in a case form.
  • SAPS will then SMS a case number, something along the lines of case 9/8/2017 and there are normally no more than 3 digits at the beginning, any more normally indicates an incident report. If it has a long list of digits at the beginning then it is an incident report rather than a case number.
  • Should the victim experience any resistance with regards to opening a case they should phone the number for complaints that are on a poster on the wall in the charge office.

Umhlali police can be contacted at 032 947 9900.

>>  Ready to say ‘I Do’ on the Dolphin Coast? Meet the team ready to advise, help and deliver on your big day.

>>  Visit our Education feature for a collection of all the best schools, tutoring systems, and even some colleges and training facilities on the North Coast.

Do you want to receive news alerts via WhatsApp? Send us a WhatsApp message (not an sms) with your name and surname to 061 718 4438.

Please read our WhatsApp broadcast list disclaimer.
Join us on BBM at 59015786
Join the conversation on FacebookTwitter and Instagram

Erica Abrahams

Latest News


Recommended Story x
New Year’s Eve murder over DVD player and TV

Thanx for your referral. We have no doubt your friends will love our newsletter as much as you!

Don't forget to verify your email.

to our FREE newsletter
SUBSCRIBE to our FREE newsletter.

SELECT your titles:

North Coast Courier

Your details:

Your friends: