A Westbrook man who has been charged with shoplifting from a Ballito supermarket has laid counter-charges against the store security for allegedly assaulting him.
Police were called to the Ballito Lifestyle SuperSpar on Sunday after the 25-year-old man, Jonas de Villiers, had allegedly been caught shoplifting a chocolate.
Umhlali SAPS spokesperson captain Vinny Pillay said that when the officers arrived back at the police station they noticed the man’s back was covered in marks.
De Villiers claimed he had been beaten by the SuperSpar security guards.
Two SuperSpar employees were arrested the same day and charged with assault.
They appeared in court on Monday, pleaded not guilty and were released on bail. They will reappear on August 14.
However, De Villiers has been held in custody because there are three pending criminal cases against him.
“The prosecutor regarded him as problematic and he is expected to reappear in court this Wednesday,” Pillay said.
Lifestyle SuperSpar owner Paul Rencken said he regarded the accusations very seriously.
“We have charged the individual and a case of assault has been opened against two of our security guards.
“This is something that we take very seriously and are currently conducting a thorough investigation and the appropriate action will be taken.”
Do you want to receive news alerts via WhatsApp? Send us a WhatsApp message (not an sms) with your name and surname to 061 718 4438.